Did you know that 91% of smartphone users turn to their smartphone for ideas while doing a given task at least once a day? That may not surprise you as much as the idea that some of us suffer from a condition known as Nomophobia, which is the fear of being without mobile device, power source or service area.
People use their smartphone very often, and we as advertisers want to be in front of them with mobile advertising so we can win those moments that matter.
We can classify these advertising opportunities into 4 categories: See, Think, Do and Care.
Here is a table to help you understand what each of these advertising opportunities represents, what our advertising goal should be, examples of metrics to measure, and what type of medium to utilize to ensure our advertising goals are being met.
|Audience||Broadest Addressable Users||Users Thinking About Purchasing||Users Ready to Purchase Now||Loyal Users Who Become Advocates|
|Marketing Goal||See and Know My Brand||Consider My Brands Offerings||Purchase My Brand’s Products/Services||Purchase Again, Augment Brand Message|
|Metric to Measure||Blog Subscribers, Social Followers or Videos Watched||Add to “Wishlist”, Newsletter Sign-up or Create an Account||Purchase, Locate Store or Order by Store||Rewards Program, Send Referral Code or Use Promo Code for Repeat Business|
|Advertising Medium||Display and Video||Display, Video and Search||Display and Search||Display and Apps|
So why should you invest in mobile? The answer is simple.
- Clicks on mobile devices are often cheaper than desktop
- Click volume is increasing on mobile devices
- Advertising on mobile allows you to interact with younger customers and certain subsets that are more likely to have a phone
- With mobile you have the ability to drive calls directly to sales teams
- You can interact with customers on the go
How can you build effective Mobile Campaigns?
First and foremost, you want to make sure that you have a website that is mobile friendly. This can be achieved in a few ways.
- Separate – aka Optimized – Completely different design and URLs; limited functionality
- Adaptive – aka Dynamic – Highly differentiated experience depending on device
- Responsive – Repositioning elements based on device
Some typical reasons why mobile traffic doesn’t convert is due to navigation and checkout/form complexity, barriers to conversions (meaning that there are too many clicks involved to get to the conversion area) and site speed.
To resolve some of the issues above, the top 5 solutions for mobile site include:
- Make site search visible and ensure results are relevant
- Implement filters to improve mobile search usability
- Design efficient forms with streamlined entry or use click to call for complex tasks
- Let users purchase as guest
- Make it easy to finish converting on another device
But wait, how are we going to know if they finished converting on another device?
Well thanks to Google we can now track Estimated Cross-Device Conversions, which is when consumers are signed into Google accounts on multiple devices, Google can record conversions that result from an ad click on another device. But don’t be fooled by the name, this estimated total number of cross-device conversions are ONLY shown if they meet a 95% confidence interval. When you combine this estimate with the conversions you see today, it can provide a more comprehensive measurement.
Once your website is mobile friendly and you identify the metrics you are going to measure, the next steps are to launch and optimize your campaign.
- Invest – Start capturing mobile search traffic
- Measure – Start measuring conversions using Google Analytics or AdWords Conversion Tracking
- Improve – Use relevant extensions to increase relevance for the user and/or continue to optimize your mobile site
These three steps will become part of an important ongoing cycle to help you understand the full value of AdWords and to become part of your customer’s micro-moments.
The future of advertising is mobile, and if you are not present, your business is going to fall behind and you are going to lose out on many potential customers that are eagerly searching for your product or service on the go. Let us know how we can help you get started today to build an effective mobile advertising campaign.